Tapebomb

A project to track the random dissemination of mixtapes.
Details here: instructions

Saturday, June 25, 2005

tapebomb 001 - Drop 2

Drop point 2: The Mall at Robinson, Robinson, PA
The local mall here is actually called "The Mall." Aren't these people supposed to make stuff up?
I haven't been to the mall in months. There used to be a Dance Dance Revolution machine in the food court and I figured it'd be the perfect place to drop a tape. Either just set it on the machine for someone to take or just give it to one of the kids playing the game.
Only the DDR machine wasn't there. The space was walled off with a giant "Coming Soon" placard that malls use to try ever so hard to make you care, though you won't. So I wandered the mall looking for another space to drop it.
I went into FYE, the crappy mall music store. A sales person accosted me almost the minute I came through the door. Do I look that scary? I asked if they had Troubled Hubble. They did. I looked at it then left. I think I'm going to drop the next tape there (July 11th, Fair Use Day) but not this time.
Wonder as I wandered. Waldenbooks is now Borders Express. Hot Topic is still the only place in the mall selling vinyl. I went down to the other end of the mall, the Dawn of the Dead end, and looked for a computer terminal.
The Mall is a modern mall. They have little internet stations set up all over the place so you can check your email or look up the location of stores in the mall. They use a touch-screen with a crappy interface that doesn't work and gives you virtually no useful information. It's great. It's everything you'd expect from a shopping mall. I thought about dropping the tape on one of the couches for someone to just find, but decided I wanted to set it next to one of those internet kiosks. Specifically the one across from the Vans store.
I don't like Vans. Read Naomi Klein's No Logo to get full details of why Vans suck. They're Nike without the bad PR. Literally.
There's a kiosk right in front of the Vans store. As I'm walking towards it there's a mall cop (with a big, wide-brimmed hat. Why the big hat?) walking towards me, rubbing something off his shirt. So I walk past all the way to the end of the mall (an extra 30 yards or so), turn around and come back. Now somebody's using the kiosk. I'd be happy to just give the guy the tape, but this is supposed to be anonymous so I go into the store.
There's no one there but the clerks. Now, the clerks are friendly and cute, which is why they were hired, and immediately ask if I need help. I just want to look at the decks in the back and say I'm just browsing.
A few minutes later, I leave, sit at the kiosk, look for an arcade, leave the tape and walk away.
I did find an arcade in the mall. That's where the DDR machine got moved. I'll drop a tape there sometime. Right now I've dropped two tapes. I'm saving one for myself which leaves two more. I'm thinking the WYEP studios and the fountain at Gateway Center.
- 6/25/05

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home