Tapebomb

A project to track the random dissemination of mixtapes.
Details here: instructions

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

tapebomb 001 - Drop 3 & 4

Drop point 3: Mouth of Skippy the Panther at the University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.
Drop point 4: Bus stop across from the Cathedral of Learning, Pittsburgh, PA.
I finished my radio show and went to the 7-11 near campus to get a Slurpee and some chips. It was 4 in the morning. The place was closed. The 7-11 was closed. I took a walk to see where I could drop the last two tapes.
I knew I wanted to drop one by Skippy, the statue of the U of Pitt's mascot. No one was around so I had to time to look at it and consider where I was going to put the tape. I wondered if I could make it stay in his mouth.
It did! I've never wished for a digital camera more than at that moment. It looked so perfect, like he was biting down on the tape or waiting like a crocodile for someone to try to snatch it from his jaws. And you couldn't see it unless you were looking at it head-on. It was perfect. It probably sat there all day.
I thought about putting the last tape on Dippy the Diplodocus in front of the Carneigie Museum. As I walked over I saw the statue of Steven Foster. He's sitting there while a black hilbilly with a guitar sits at his feet staring lovingly up at him. Apparently people put a sock on the black guy's feet every winter as a prank. It is a messed-up statue. It would have been the perfect place to drop the tape. Only there was a security guard sitting just a few yards off. I'm pretty sure he was asleep but I didn't want to risk it.
So I gave Dippy and Mr. Foster a pass and went over to the Cathedral of Learning. It was all locked up and I looked for a place nearby to drop the tape where it'd be more likely to be picked up than thrown out. I settled on the bus stop shell just because I wanted to get home. I set the tape in the window. You could see it if you looked for it, but otherwise it probably escaped notice for most of the morning.
At this point I have no idea what happened to any of the tapes. I left no details on them, not even a tracklist. There's nothing that would lead people back to this site, which would make it all the more interesting if they managed to find their way here.
I just bought a 10-pack of 60-minute tapes for the next two drops. I'm thinking July 11th, Fair Use Day for the next one. Probably the same spots too.
- 6/27/05

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home